Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

The Strongest One Pokemon

Comments

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 774 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

I should have said "fun answers only" in my original post.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

You don't find pedantry fun?

But seriously, I don't think these concepts are as fun as people believe them to be. It is the restrictions that make a game fun. Total freedom becomes boring very quickly. There is a reason you don't play every video game in god mode.

• Eremas

I'm not shaping the next Pokemon generation. Just trying to get views and comments. Why am I mad? It's not like your concern is based on anything.

• TheJeffers

I aspired to be. Perhaps I will get there one day. I am certainly a ludophile and very conscious of game design.

• Eremas

What made you get into it?

What type of game would you wish to make?

• TheJeffers

I loved video games and card games in my youth. I still do. I studied programming and computer science at university with the hope of moving into a games design career. But I didn't have much success finding work, so I moved to Japan and started teaching instead.

I still like thinking about and designing games, though. That's part of the reason I have so much to say on the Pokémon series and other games. I enjoy writing stories a lot, too, so I explore both passions playing tabletop RPGs with friends.

• Eremas

Do you ever do Game Jams? What kind of languages do you use/are familiar with? If someone didn't hire you maybe you just need a solo project made on your own time.

Tabletop RPGs are fun but constricting with turn based play imo.

• TheJeffers

In university I did. I have been out of the game a while. I mostly used C++ and Java.

I love turn based play. I have enjoyed shooters like Doom and Halo, I played DOTA for a few years and I enjoyed fighting and racing games at times, but turn based strategy has always been my favourite. No time pressure or twitch aiming skills required. RPGs and card games suit me well.

And as I say, restrictions breed creativity and fun. If you can do anything, you want to do nothing. If something is a challenge, overcoming it becomes the motivation and the entertainment.

You could play a hacked Pokémon ROM with 100% capture and shiny rate, and every Pokémon on every route with all the items and HM abilities unlocked. But what would be the point? You would wonder through a world full of nothing worth doing.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde: There are two great tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, and the other is getting it.

• Eremas

Maybe you can be the first to make a video game with an artificial intelligence as the guiding mechanic or tutorial knowledge base. The ai would be an NPC that you can travel with in the first part of the game. It would be even better if it didn't have a chatbot element.