Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What do you think about Real Animals in Pokémon?

WhiscashIsCool
WhiscashIsCool Member Posts: 37
First Answer 5 Agrees 10 Comments

I think that real animals exist in the Pokémon world due to the anime. Some dex entries talk about bird Pokémon eating bugs, there was an aquarium with what seemed to be normal fish in one episode. And I don’t think anyone can forget about Ghastly turning into a Mongoose(that was a weird epsiode)

Comments

• CherryFizz507
    CherryFizz507 Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    5 Answers 100 Comments Name Dropper 5 Agrees

That is probably not canon, but animals could be fictional in the Pokemon universe like how Pokemon are fictional to us. Probably always gonna stay a theory though.

• WhiscashIsCool
    WhiscashIsCool Member Posts: 37
    First Answer 5 Agrees 10 Comments

that’s actually a really cool idea!

• Mod_Skrilla
    Mod_Skrilla Moderator Posts: 304 mod
    5 Answers 25 Likes Second Anniversary 25 LOLs

I find this perception intriguing, CherryFizz507. Thank you for your insight on this topic, WhiscashIsCool.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

Cool yet, Rather anachronistic. @whiscashiscool @cherryfizz507

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

If they do exist, they have been sidelined at this point.

In the early days of the franchise, Pokémon seemed to exist in our world, with references to real world locations, animals and events in the games (especially the Pokédex) and anime. Kanto even took its name from Kanto in Japan.

As the franchise evolved, it did more to establish its own world and separate itself from our world. At this point, it seems entirely removed from the real world and is events.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

I saw someone making a Pokémon timeline once and they made gens 1 and 2 their own timeline where real animals and real countries coexist with Pokémon. I thought that was a good explanation for why the first two gens mention lots of real world animals and countries that never get mentioned again in any other games.