Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Is the Moon alive in Pokemon?

Odd qustion maybe, but I guess I don't understand mysticism well. Probably overthinking as usual too.

Either way, there's the move "Lunar Blessing" ("Crescent Prayer" in Japanese if relevant). The Pokemon gets a blessing from the moon (more specifically by praying to it, in the Japanese description). The moon seemingly isn't alive, so does it have mystic power which is attracted to prayer/is able to bless Pokemon?

Answers

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Answers 100 LOLs 500 Comments 250 Agrees

There is nothing in Pokémon world that leads to the moon being alive, not in any reasonable definition of a living organism.

Like the werewolf's tale typically revolves around a cursed individual, doomed to transform into a wolf during the full moon. Similar to the Pokémon that gets its atack power from the moon... this are both just fantasy stories involving mystic moon powers, anything more than that it's indeed overthinking and speculation. In the end Pokémon anime it's aimed for a yung audience, not for astronomists, mythologists, etc.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

In the early days of the franchise Gamefreak seemed pretty focused on space and space travel for some reason. In the first game this manifested in Mt. Moon, with its Moon Stones and Clefairy, implied to be either aliens from the moon, or some kind of moon spirit.

Many cultures and religions, historically and today, have put an emphasis on the importance of the stars, planets and other cosmic phenomenon they see in the sky, the most important usually being the sun and the moon.

In some cases, the sun and moon are treated as gods, with the observable moon either being the physical body of the moon god, their domain they rule over, or a symbol of their power and influence.

Some cultures believe the moon itself has spiritual, magical or even evil power, while others believe that spirits or other beings live on the moon.

I don't think Pokémon is suggesting that the moon is actually alive, but simply alluding to the widespread cultural practice throughout history of praying to the moon.