Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Gengar ex is disgusting

Ok The issue here is gengar ex...

Is a No skill deck/No brainer

Every time i play for fun trying decks or in ranked its always that unfun & dumb deck with some variations (some more unfun than others)

theres no real way to counter it, either you need to be fast or lucky to kill the gastly or you die... You can't put energy in your pokemon nor deal with the pokemon cause with cards they can discard the energy attached and with support like alakazam pass the damage on bench pokemon... It's just so disgusting & frustrating to play against it it's either join on them or struggle...

i'm sure i'm not alone on this issue and yes i tried using hammers and Giovanni and other things, but those are so unreliable and you need a lot of luck to get those cards at the start

Comments

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees

Good news is… It's a terrible deck and has never placed well in any regionals ever! So just start playing ranked and once you get higher up you will stop seeing Gengars.

• nightblitz42
    nightblitz42 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    First Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Agrees 5 Answers

Gengar is suppposed to be powerful. It's a 2-Prize Stage 2 Pokemon with useless pre-Evolution stages. Those are the worst attributes a Pokemon could have! To get it going, your opponent has to play a Gastly that does nothing, a Rare Candy that does nothing, a Gengar, and two Energy. That's a 5-card investment into a Pokemon that might just get knocked out next turn. If you let your opponent set that all up uncontested and unpunished, then the reality is that they probably could've beaten you with many other combinations of five cards over two turns.

In any case, I would recommend not playing Giovanni's Charisma or Hammers unless you're specifically playing a disruption deck like Gengar or Espathra. It's incredibly important to be using Trainers and Supporters that give you additional cards (Nest Ball, Ultra Ball, Iono, Arven, etc), and cards like Hammers take away deck space that could be going to those kinds of cards. If you improve your deck's consistency then it will be easier to take the offensive early on in the game, which will help you punish decks with slow and demanding setup like Gengar.