Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

When will we get ANY news of the expanded format for live?

Options

I feel like this isnt being brought up at all, but as an expanded player, when are we EVER going to hear about anything for the expanded being updated to have more support, or to be completed? It has been about two years i believe and still nothing for expanded, still just sun and moon onward. It has been very silent as well with expanded. Could we PLEASE just hear something? Like how much progress is there for expanded to be finished? If it is taking too long, could it be just in waves? What I mean about this is, on an update, it could start with bringing in xy evolutions and steam siege, next update could bring generations and fates collide, until it reaches black and white. If not, could we at least be able to use all of the older ace specs since the new ace specs are in the game now?

Answers

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

My theory is that in delaying the ability to play Expanded, they believe that they encourage more people to play Standard in the interim, since it is the only option. And if you are playing Standard online, you are more likely to buy packs from the latest sets and play in paper, too.

Ideally TCG players would throw all of their rotated cards in the bin every year and rush out to buy the new cards, but instead they demand really selfish and nonsensical things like their cards having value and being playable beyond legality in Standard.

• Cricketplayer10
    Cricketplayer10 Member Posts: 19
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

Hey man, I share your pain. I get where you are coming from. I want the same thing too. Good things come to those who wait. Trust the process. I'm a bit worried about wether expanded may rotate soon and exclude all BW+XY cards to make it SM onwards. Then TPCI will be like,"It's been like this the entire time. Move on." But I believe that it would just be a waste of literally THOUSANDS of cards if they make them unplayable. There is maintenance scheduled today so we will wait and see but I doubt it will be anything major knowing TPCI.

I know its hard but we just have to accept the game for what it is and be patient.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

@Cricketplayer10 Expanded isn't rotating.

• Cricketplayer10
    Cricketplayer10 Member Posts: 19
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

@TechHog Has it ever rotated before?

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options
  • adeptRanger7024
    adeptRanger7024 Member Posts: 8
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

I really miss expanded too, it's the funniest format along with the old legacy. It's so disappointing that they never said anything about it.

• TheJeffers
    Options

@TechHog I found it mildly amusing that many of the official English explanations of the format suggested that it might rotate or exclude older sets at some point. I am glad it hasn't so far, and I hope it never does.

Maybe at some point, as BW cards get older and harder to find and more cards are printed, they will create a new format with a later start point. Perhaps it could be XY forward. Or SM.

I think it's good to have multiple formats, so that there is always variety and something to play when Standard is bad, but you don't want too many either.

• Ampersundae
    Ampersundae Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    Options

The lack of communication from the developers is beginning to concern me. I would appreciate a statement on what they are doing, because it appears the player base is getting bored.

• TheJeffers
    Options

I am interested why people seemed to disagree with my last post. Simply clicking 'disagree' doesn't really tell me anything beyond numbers.

Do people want Expanded to rotate? Why? Where will your old cards go? There will be no legal format for them.

Or do you all want to limit the game to two formats? I agree that having too many would potentially divide the playerbase a little too much, but I don't think a third would hurt (since Unlimited or whatever the format stretching back to Base Set is called isn't really a thing).

Or am I just catching flack from a post elsewhere on the site?

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Agrees First Comment 5 Likes First Answer
    Options

I think people just want the whole expanded format back instead of just sun and moon forward