Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

How do you play Pokemon TCG?

Options
riordanfan
riordanfan Member Posts: 14
First Comment Name Dropper First Answer Photogenic

I have the cards, but I don't know how to play. Can anyone teach me the basics?

Best Answers

Answers

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs First Answer 5 Likes
    Options

@TheJeffers that thing you said about Machamp is WAY TOO TRUE. 😂

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

@Octowen I think we have all been there as kids, whatever the card game. Or playing with younger siblings, relatives or friends.

When I was in primary school we were a bit too young to have gotten in on the ground floor for Magic, Yugioh wasn't a thing yet, so our first exposure to TCGs was Pokémon. And kids don't care about rules or resource management. I have cool card, I play cool card.

It's a lot easier to learn these days. Between the internet, instruction videos and online simulators there are a lot of ways to learn and play a card game. Anytime.

Most kids in my school didn't even have a starter deck or access to the rule book. Their parents bought them a couple of Base Set booster packs, they shuffled the cards together and then drew a hand of as many cards as they felt like, slapped down their best Pokémon (unsleeved on the ground) and declared an attack.

Oh, you don't have a Pokémon to defend you in your hand? I guess you die then, because humans die when they are attacked by Pokémon.

Of course, those were the only opponents I had access to. That or try to teach my dad how to play.

I did try.

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs First Answer 5 Likes
    Options

@TheJeffers yeah that’s exactly how it would go. That’s awesome that you tried to teach your dad 😂

I did actually teach my mom and at one point she kept beating me but then I triumphed 🙌😂

• riordanfan
    riordanfan Member Posts: 14
    First Comment Name Dropper First Answer Photogenic
    Options

Thank you!! I am so glad for your help!!😁