Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Expanded Format Request + Ideas/Concerns

Options

The Expanded format is a crucial part to the Pokémon TCG. It adds diversity and means that players can discover new strategies by using older cards and generally makes deck building more fun for players. I would like to address some ideas that I would implement into TCGL for the expanded format starting small and working our way up. Then I will address some concerns I have with expanded format at this moment in time. This is my opinion, so feel free to add your thoughts below.

Making pre-Sun and Moon cards(Black and White +XY cards) playable- I get this may already be in development but I'm sure the Expanded player base would like some clarification on how this development of these cards are going(if its happening at all).

Expanded Friend Battles(Black + White cards onwards)- After the above pool of cards become available with expanded format, I would like to suggest having a period of time where expanded friend battles are implemented to test how well the cards work on the player base so we can report any bugs with these cards so they can be fixed. If this means making the FULL expanded format only playable through Friend Battles for a period of time, I personally would not mind.

Development of Expanded Ranked Ladder- After this testing period is complete or the TPCI are happy with the state of Expanded format after seeing little/no glitches to expanded cards on TCGL, like with standard format, I would like to see a ranked ladder for expanded format. This is where I would like to see PTCGL in the near future

Now, I understand that maybe most of what I just said maybe in development already, but I'm sure that most if not all of the expanded player base let alone the whole PTCGL player base itself would like some clarification on the development of the rest of Expanded format as it affects so many players and I know that some players are worried about the future of expanded.

Potential Concerns for the Expanded Format

Currently in PTCGL, there is an expanded beta format which consists of cards from Sun and Moon onwards. The reason I am concerned is that it could be a possibility that Expanded could potentially be rotating for the first time in ages due to the amount of cards that are available/playable. So, if expanded DID rotate, perhaps the new expanded format would be Sun and Moon onwards and TPCI will say something like," Oh, its been like this the entire time, you are so used to it by now!" This thought makes terrifies me for the expanded format, hence why I would like some clarification on the development of expanded.

Solutions to the Concerns of the Expanded Format

If what I said above were to happen, I would like to request an unlimited format(similar to the one in PTCGO) as I personally feel it would be a waste to make thousands of cards from previous generations/sets unplayable and again limits the creativity and diversity for PTCGL and its players.

Conclusion

I suppose what TPCI should gather from this discussion post is that, please update the player base regularly about the development of the game in its entirety, not just little updates here and there about certain aspects of the game. It's just better to keep the player base informed rather than keep us guessing. This game has so much potential and I'm sure that the player base has so much to offer The Development Team in terms of ideas and creativity for the game. The huge player base is your strength/opportunity not your threat/weakness. Don't neglect us.