Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Why does Pokemon have so much Crossdressing?

Options
Hey_PIKMIN
Hey_PIKMIN Member Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment 5 LOLs

In the Anime Ash has crossdressed 5 times

1. As a random girl to get into the grass gym in Kanto

2. As a girl named Julliet that a guy was trying to propose to (Brock was also trying to do this and seemed to beleive that Ash was the real one)

3. As a maid alongside Turtwig and Pikachu

4. as a Princess alongside Cilan

5. In Sun and Moon there was an episode where they were helping Nurse Joy and were trying to find themselves uniforms, they could only find female ones and Ash put one on thinking that there wasn't another choice, Mallow Lillie and Lana saw this and put makeup on him

Comments

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

HOW do you mention crossdressing in Pokémon without mentioning Team Rocket. HOW.

My guess is that the writers find it funny. It hasn't been controversial so far (or at least recently), meaning they can just continue doing it. I wonder if these Pokémon episodes are available in places where not conforming to your assigned gender is illegal though.

• Brandonusofa
    Brandonusofa Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 LOLs First Answer 5 Agrees
    Options

I've noticed some agenda pushing too.

• Resilient30
    Resilient30 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes First Comment 5 LOLs
    Options

I think in the original anime it was just supposed to be goofy and funny, without any agenda. I’m not sure about the Sun and Moon thing, though Ash isn’t always bright in S/M so they could just be trying to be goofy.

• Resilient30
    Resilient30 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes First Comment 5 LOLs
    Options

@UnovanZorua I’ve wondered the same. I’d say they have to be somewhat carful what agendas they push due to cultural cancellation, though they can replace some words and such for other translations.

• NateDreemurr
    NateDreemurr Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options

Crossdressing and similar stuff is considered the punchline in Japan.

• Hey_PIKMIN
    Hey_PIKMIN Member Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment 5 LOLs
    Options

@UnovanZorua Team Rocket get's a pass I'm fine with them doing it

Side note Miitopia is rating 18+ in Russia because it has same gender relationships

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

It's an anime made in Japan. Crossdressing is still generally viewed as a comedic thing here, rather than a signal for absolutely everyone to lose their collective minds and decry anyone who does not align with their perspective as the worst people ever to have existed.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Answer 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

@TheJeffers I consider that kind of thing as nothing less and nothing more than a comedic thing. I see crossdressing as a manner of humor.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Answer 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

Plus, I would like to see that kind of trope with some comedic input in where the guys infiltrate a pageant show hosted by the bad guys and on supposed contestant twisted her leg and have one of the boys poses as one of the girls in a last minute change with said guy object to be put in that shameful ruse.