Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Dragapult ex vs Manaphy

bumbllebear
bumbllebear Member Posts: 1

In a recent match against a dragapult ex they were able to put damage counters on my benched pokemon despite having a manaphy on the field is this a glitch or bug? If not why does this damage go through?

Comments

• uncomonfossil
    uncomonfossil Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Answers

Dragapult ex places damage counters, which is different than doing damage. Manaphy stops damage from being done, but not placing damage counters. So this was working correctly.

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 614 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 LOLs 100 Likes

This is actually not a bug or a glitch, because Dragapult’s attack says “place damage counters” instead of “this attack also does damage to your opponent’s benched Pokémon.” Placing damage counters is technically an effect of an attack, so would be blockable by Stellar Wish Jirachi, but not by Manaphy.

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Answers

Not a bug, you need Rabsca from TEF or Mist Energy to block the damage counters.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Answers

@Octowen your overall answer was correct, but Jirachi actually would not block Dragapult ex, since Jirachi reads: "Prevent all damage counters from being placed on your Benched Pokémon by effects of attacks used by your opponent's Basic Pokémon." Dragapult is not a basic, therefore it hits through Jirachi. This card was quite obviously printed for Sableye with nothing else in mind. It is easy to forget that it does not block effects of attacks. However, Rabsca from temporal forces could block it.

• Octowen

Awww 🤦‍♂️ thank you for the correction, @OlderAngel11. Guess I should double-check these things before I think I know what a card does 🤪

• Octowen

*Oh also another correction to my previous message: it’s Stellar Veil, not wish. Stellar Wish is from a few years ago…

• OlderAngel11

Yeah honestly I wish TPC would stop printing these direct counters to certain decks. The new Kyurem that is being released from Shrouded Fable has an attack that can do 110 to THREE of your opponents pokemon, and it can be used for a single colorless if your opponent has a card named Colress in their discard. They did this with Mew, with Spiritomb and Drapion V, and now they are trying to erase lost box. Why do they print these cards if a couple years later they are going to print a card which could not be more of a direct counter?

• Octowen

I agree, @OlderAngel11. If they really think a card is nasty (and for the record, none of the current cards are, I’m thinking more back to the Lugia VSTAR tyranny days) then if it’s really necessary they should ban it instead of just printing a counter card.

• OlderAngel11

I disagree with that last part of banning it, I think that printing a counter is at least better than banning it, since if you print a counter the deck might still be able to survive. but yeah, I really don't understand why they're nuking lost box right now. I mean, it's not even that good of a deck, it hasn't been winning a lot…

• emcees
    emcees Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic

That Kyurem would be pretty sweet in a Regidrago Vstar deck…