Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

The game is not balanced anymore. What do you think ?

Reisideist
Reisideist Member Posts: 18
10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper

Thank you for making the game terrible. The most basic thing in a strategy game is to take precautions according to the moves your opponent is likely to make. The decks are very broken now. Attach 4 energy and draw dozens of cards at once. The game was not like this before, it was more balanced and smooth.

Comments

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Answers

I could not disagree more. How recently have you played the TCG competitively? And also, it's more like ten energies per turn when you play Gardy. But that what makes the game fun!

• Reisideist
    Reisideist Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper

I've been playing for years. Is this fun ? i dont think so mate. This is a strategy card game.

• Sintan666
    Sintan666 Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments 5 LOLs Name Dropper 5 Agrees

That would imply it was ever balanced to begin with ... LOL

• grriffinn
    grriffinn Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees

The number of viable decks in the current Modified format is better than previous Modified formats (*cough*MewtwoWars2012*cough*) but their strategies are pretty similar.

I think the main issue currently “plaguing” the TCG right now is Energy acceleration, almost every deck has some form that can fulfill Energy requirements by Turn 2 and additional cards that can increase the chances getting it set up. If Creatures Inc. introduced a card that was a proper hard counter to Energy Acceleration and wasn’t too burdensome then you’d see the amount of viable decks rise considerably.

• pikayou
    pikayou Member Posts: 77 ✭✭✭
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Answers 10 Comments

I agree with OlderAngel, the game's in a much better state now than it's been in a long time. You're actually encouraged to play weaker single prize Pokemon and evolve into your stronger Pokemon (which, especially for stage 2s, adds a level of complexity), as opposed to the Sword and Shield era where the general strategy was usually just get a VMAX out and swing with your strongest attack until hopefully you win. It's very comparable to early Sun and Moon, before Tag Teams dropped, which was my favorite era. They're clearly designing cards with balance in mind (Squawkabilly ex is a much more balanced version of cards like Dedenne GX or Shaymin EX, for example) and we've got plenty of cards that encourage comebacks like Radiant Charizard and Counter Catcher where before if you were having a bad opening you might as well just scoop. Decks like Lost Box and Gardy require infinitely more strategy than Mew VMAX or ADP (or even LuxChomp, if we wanna go back further than that).

Plus, we've always had broken cards. Back in the very first sets it wasn't uncommon for someone to draw through half of their deck on their first turn with cards like Professor Oak, Bill, and Computer Search, and Base Set Blastoise has an 'attach as many energy as you like' ability almost identical to modern day Baxcalibur (and it didn't even see that much play back then, partly because setting up a stage 2 was way too slow when you could do just as much with the haymaker cards lol).

• nightblitz42
    nightblitz42 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    25 Likes 5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary

I disagree, I think the game balance is great right now. There are currently about a dozen different meta-relevant deck archetypes, with multiple ways to build most of these archetypes. Looking at tournament results reveals a high amount of deck variety at top levels of play. In fact, the latest set, Paradox Rift, introduced a lot of extremely playable cards like Iron Hands ex, TM Evolution, and Counter Catcher that see play in some decks but not all of them. In my opinion, Pokemon TCG balance is outstanding at the moment.

If you want to play defensively, it is possible to do that. The way to do that is to let the opponent claim Prize Cards quickly while you focus on attacking the opponent's card-draw Pokemon (Bibarel, Radiant Greninja, etc). Then, once your opponent only has a couple Prize Cards remaining, use Iono and Counter Catcher to put them in a terrible position, from which point you stage your comeback. As it turns out, predicting your opponent's threats becomes much easier once you've eliminated your opponent's means of drawing cards. Decks that are particularly good at executing this plan include Gardevoir ex, Garchomp ex, and Arceus Duraludon.

• yangtze2000
    yangtze2000 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

What I think is that, at the top level, it's a very different game than it used to be. I really like the slower pace of the Base and Jungle era, and would love to see a Base and Jungle format implemented online. Or at least a low-powered modern format that played like Base and Jungle 😀