Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage is to conceding vs just taking the loss?

Options
Puddlejumper3k
Puddlejumper3k Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Combo Breaker First Comment Name Dropper 5 Likes

In the last 3 days every single match I've had where I was about to win with my next turn ends up with my opponent rage quiting by concede. It's hilarious that these sore losers can't be an adult and just take the loss like a man. It seems to be the new thing.

I have found no advantage to this. Can anyone tell me what the advantage is to conceding vs just taking the loss?

Thanks!

Comments

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

If you know you are going to lose and concede, the game is over faster, your opponent gets their win and you can both move on to the next game right away.

You seem to infer a lot in the way of the motives of your opponent. And I have seen people condemned for poor sportsmanship and accused of being sore losers both for conceding and not conceding in a number of online card game clients.

"Oh, my opponent won't concede when I clearly have the win on board? They are forcing me to play it out? What a sore loser!"

"Oh, my opponent conceded and wouldn't let me win properly and take my last prize card? They won't let me play it out? What a sore loser!"

My advice: Stop worrying about what your opponent is doing, the way they take their loses and why they might be doing it. A win is a win. Take the W.

• uncomonfossil
    uncomonfossil Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    Options

I think there are 2 lines of thought concerning conceding.

1 - Concede as soon as you realize you cannot win. I associate this more with IRL play where time is more of a concern, especially with best 2 out of 3.

2 - Let your opponents take all of their prizes. This gives your opponent more points towards the Battle Pass. I associate this more with budget online players.

Try not to assume bad intentions by your opponent. (Although sometimes this does seem likely.) And glad that it was a quick concession rather than emote spamming or intentional slow play.

• Ampersundae
    Ampersundae Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    Options

Sometimes I concede to my opponent as a sign of respect. I know they've won, so I let them take that win and we can both move on and play more.

• tomtomtheninja
    tomtomtheninja Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Why do you feel the need to call people sore losers for not wanting to waste their time? Sounds like a big ego, and you should probably look in the mirror.

• tomtomtheninja
    tomtomtheninja Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Please flag and delete my comment again to prove my point. You know it’s true.

Takes one to know one.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

Saving time.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer 5 LOLs
    Options

I sometimes do this when I just want to get into the next match, there's no impactful advantage in waiting for your opponent to actually get the win, most of the time when they drop the final boss or something I just scoop. This doesn't make you a sore loser or a child, whatever you think.

• justin123089
    justin123089 Member Posts: 9
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

Some people dont pay attention and want to take 2 minutes a turn and no point in wasting a hour of my day on menatlly challenged

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭✭
    First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer 5 LOLs
    Options

@justin123089 100% Agree! I hate it when people will just start playing every card in their hand! No way am I sticking around for that!

• Puddlejumper3k
    Puddlejumper3k Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Combo Breaker First Comment Name Dropper 5 Likes
    Options

Not wanting to waste time mid game is different than conceding at the very last moment before I make the final play. There is no real time gained by doing so. This comparison is apples and oranges. I wouldn't have asked the question if that was the reason.

I have no concern either way. The reason I made the post was to see if there was a tangible reason for doing this. @uncomonfossil was the only one to answer my question. Thank you.

@tomtomtheninja , my ego has nothing to do with it. It was a valid question whether you see it that way or not. And I did not flag any of your comments. Stop thinking everything is about you. Your negative comments mean nothing if they do not answer my question.

@justin123089, I agree with you on this. It's annoying.

@TheJeffers , why are you making assumptions about why I asked? That's pretty arrogant. It's like you didn't even read it. My advice to you: don't make assumptions about why other people ask questions. Ask them what they mean.

This discussion has been closed.