Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Terrible dealt hand

Comments

• Nickalooose1
    Nickalooose1 Member Posts: 47
    5 Agrees 5 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper

@TechHog shut up!

• Perfect_Jab
    Perfect_Jab Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    5 Likes Photogenic 5 LOLs 10 Comments

@emcees i dont like running charizard ex. I have alot of decks i set up that i like to use. To much to list them, an dont see what that would change. Rng sucks, i know its luck of the draw. Its just annoying when i only have 12 energy cards in my deck , an 8 of them are dealt to me right away an im stuck 1 or 2 basics an cant do anything. Then next match i can load my bench with basics an no energy. Just feels like i get dealt these kind of hands more then something i can actually compete with.

• Perfect_Jab

@Nickalooose1 yes thats how i feel too. Rng is terrible more often then not. Just like opening packs too. Online luck is the worst.

• OKPlan_B
    OKPlan_B Member Posts: 18
    5 Agrees First Answer 10 Comments Photogenic

Unfortunately, this sounds to be more of a deck issue as others have stated. If you run just 1 basic, you can't complain that you don't get it every draw (not saying this is what your deck is like, just an example). 1/2 basics or even mulligans are bound to happen, you just also have to build your deck to be able to bounce back from these.

• Perfect_Jab

@OKPlan_B really....does anybody actually read whats said before commenting. Did you actually read what i said. Nobody is running with 1 basic or even 2, i said that i get dealt 1 basic to start with an then the rest of my hand is energy an energy recovers for example! Leaves me nothing to go with. Then im dealt more energy on my next turns. I HAVE everything in my deck to build my team, but dont get dealt any of them. Then next match its the opposite. All pokemon an no energy. Sometimes if i survive a few turns i can turn it around. But majority of the time, the other player kills my basic by their second turn. AGAIN , not saying this happens every match. But it happens alot. I get aggravated because i have 12 energy in my deck an get dealt 8 of them to start... like come on. Im not new to this or an idiot. I run a few different decks that i like to use. All run around 18/30/12. Some less pokemon. But all my trainer an items are strong to my deck. I have any wasteful

• OKPlan_B
    OKPlan_B Member Posts: 18
    5 Agrees First Answer 10 Comments Photogenic

@Perfect_Jab Did...did you actually read what I said? I understand no one is actually using just 1 basic in the deck. It's called RNG, and happens in the real world as much as in the app. We're just letting you know that your kinda shouting about nothing...

The whole point of the game is to build good deck, and play them well. As the old adage goes, you have to use what you are dealt. Rework the deck more if you can, and accept that sometimes you just don't start with a strong hand. A good player can play a bad hand well.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Consistency is a real concern with card games, given the randomised nature of decks. Even the best players are going to lose frequently to factors beyond their control, poor hands chief among them.

There is a reason many TCGs play best of three in their tournaments and swiss rounds are more common than single elimination.

As with statistics, you seek to remove as much random chance as possible and ensure that the most consistently skilled players rise to the top ranks, not just the player who lucked into a good hand three rounds in a row. You do this by playing as many rounds as possible.

Deck building is an essential skill that goes a long way to distinguishing higher skilled players from the rest of the field. Competitive players want to gain every advantage they can, and that starts with the deck they build.

One of their primary concerns is mitigating the role random chance plays in their matches, reducing, if not totally eliminating, the liklihood of bad or unplayable opening hands and ensuring they have the best chance they can of drawing or searching out the cards they need when they need them.

An easy rule of thumb you likely already know that applies to all TCGs is to play more copies of a card you want to have in your opening hand or draw into frequently, and fewer, or even a single copy, of a card you might only want to see late in the game or you have a way to tutor out of your deck.

There are more specific rules that apply to the Pokémon TCG specifically, of course, and more advanced deck building techniques and tools you can use when deciding which cards to include and at what ratio. But that simple rule illustrates the point.

Posting your decklist would allow other people here to make recommendations on how to improve your deck. Without seeing it, we can only speak in generalities and give broad advice.

Is there a reason you don't want to post it? Are you nervous about people being critical?

Criticism is not bullying or hatred. Criticism is the method through which one improves at any skill, and the medium through which others show their support and enable your development. Even if it hurts your pride a little to receive it, at first.

If you post your deck and it looks fine, maybe there is a genuine issue or bug with the shuffling algorithm, and we can eliminate deck construction as the issue.

Alternatively, if your list needs some refinement that will solve the issue, too.

Do you want to try and improve the situation? Or do you just want to vent? Because we can post 'RNG sux' and 'shuffler bad' all day, but it won't really improve anything.

• Perfect_Jab

Wow... thanks is that how strategy card games are played? I dont even want to respond to these posts, people want to try an talk down to someone or just assume things. Write out a long comment on how card games are played. Smh. An i dont want to list my deck, i dont care about any of the reasons you stated. Just not beat to list all my cards in my decks an ones i have available. AGAIN...does it really matter what cards i have an use if i dont get them dealt to me?? Honestly! Bad hands are bad hands. Greatest card player isnt going to turn a hand around or be able to do ANYTHING, when the basic pokemon they get to start with is the 1 jirachi in the deck an then energies an a energy recover. Your not doing anything except waiting. An when your opponent gets a good hand an kills you on their next turn... yea...aggravating.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Yeah. RNG sux. Shuffler bad.

I guess nothing can be done. You just have to live with it.

Best of luck to you.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

@Perfect_Jab You don't need to post every deck. Just one or two. I don't have the problems you do, so it's possible that you're just running too many energy cards or something.